Thursday, July 8, 2010

Audacity and music

I am not computer savvy or haven't really dealt with computers that often, but using audacity to change the music and sound files was not as complicated as I expected. It took me a little time in beginning but I was able to figure out most of the stuff I wanted to change in the music and songs. To have such valuable resource as audacity, I think is important because it can help us rearrange different types of music the way we want to. With the advancement in technology, I think audacity would also be a good tool to be used in classes. Teaching students how to make their own soundtracks, and using them to create experiments. A variety of sounds can be amalgamated in order to bring an organized yet refined melody or sound. Students can also be taught to use audacity for podcasts so that they can share their work with friends and even their parents.

Audacity is a tool that if used properly in can be incorporated in classrooms to help students learn the desired material at hand. I actually did not like the program at first. It seemed very confusing and I was scared to try something new. With time the program grew on me and now I am trying to find different ways I can use audacity to make the songs and music have a touch of myself. The different assignments that this class is offering me, have opened many doors that I can incorporate in the classrooms as a teacher.

When using audacity for music concrete I think it is important to make distinctions of what we are doing. We are not just mixing a bunch of songs or music. We need to realize that this is also a form of art and it requires us to be more artistic. We have to have a sound in our minds when creating our own sounds or music. A good way to compare the new created sound or music would be by thinking of it as a piece of art such as a painting or a drawing. They are made to be creative, imaginative and to show the artistic talents. In the same way we should use audacity to make art with sounds and music, not just a mixture of different sounds. Just like Dr. Gilbert explained in class, it is like having a blank canvas and trying to create a piece of art.


No comments:

Post a Comment